top of page


Notify police about filming

Whether you're shooting on location or on the move, find out if a police presence is needed, which authorities need to be notified and how to keep your cast, crew and the general public safe.

Do you need to tell police about your film shoot?

A police presence may be needed for any filming where:

  • there are likely to be public safety issues

  • crime enactments can be seen from a public place

  • the film shoot involves liveried emergency vehicles or actors in police or modern military uniform

  • nudity or perceived nudity can be seen from a public place

  • weapons, whether real or props, are used and visible or audible in a public place

  • low-loader or tracking shots are taking place on a public road

If any of the above applies to you, please complete police quick and simple online 'notice to film' form. Click 'start' below to begin.

Once we receive your form, we'll contact you for further information. Please note, this form is not for reporting any incidents, crimes or seeking help. If someone is in immediate danger or a crime is in progress, call 999. Average completion time: five minutes

Guidelines for filming

Before you get in touch, please read the advice below. We’ve included links to several documents that provide more detail about filming, if you need it.

Filming on location

There are seven types of filming on location that will likely require a police presence. These are filming:

  1. with weapons

  2. with replica, imitation or airsoft firearms

  3. with actors or extras in police uniform

  4. with replica or fake police vehicles

  5. scenes of crime or violence

  6. real or perceived nudity

  7. with issues of public safety

Filming on the move

We can:

  • advise productions on the most effective way to film on the move

  • provide 'no objections' notices

  • let local authorities know about your shoot

  • deploy officers to supervise and assist where needed

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) information sheet, Safe filming and recording involving vehicles is a useful read.

Filming stunts, fights or other hazardous activities

The concern when filming scenes involving danger or violence is that members of the public don't realise that filming is taking place, so they:

  • think the event is ‘real’

  • either call the police or intervene themselves

For this reason, you must consult the police in advance. As a general guideline, please make sure:

  • film crew wear high-vis clothing so it's obvious to the public that filming is taking place

  • you use signs to tell the public the nature of the filming

  • you leaflet local residents so they're forewarned of the filming

  • you provide enough stewards to reassure the public and to preserve the security and safety of the film set

For more information read the HSE information sheet Stunts, fights and other hazardous production activities.

Using firearms and other weapons

You and your production must:

  • consult with police in advance of any filming with replica, imitation or airsoft firearms

  • tell us about any activity involving weapons to prevent the emergency deployment of armed police

Using Bedfordshire Police's intellectual property

To depict Bedfordshire Police in print, film or a TV broadcast, you may need an intellectual property (IP) agreement or licence.

To request the use of our IP, get in touch using our quick and simple online request an IP licence form. The Bedfordshire Police logo, uniforms, cap badges, royal armorial (crest), warrant badge, vehicle liveries, paperwork and other items are all copyright of Bedfordshire Police. Some of these are also trademarked.

We may grant permission and approval for an image to appear as incidental, such as in the background at a football match, or directing traffic.

Where you need police for advertising purposes, we’d suggest you depict a generic police force, with no identifying logos or badges.

Using Bedfordshire Police officers, staff and animals

Nedfordshire Police don't hire out police officers, staff or animals as performers.

Using Bedfordshire Police equipment

Bedfordshire Police doesn't hire out uniform, equipment or vehicles, but you can get all of these from various registered providers. Visit our owning and transporting police equipment page or to find out more.

Owning and transporting police equipment

The UK Film and TV Registration Scheme is for supporting artists (SAs) who own police costume, uniforms, vehicles or equipment. The scheme protects SAs when they’re travelling with these items, reducing the risk of misunderstandings if stopped by the police and of the equipment falling into the wrong hands.

How to register

To join the UK Film and TV Registration Scheme, visit You’ll be issued with a photo ID card you must carry with you whenever you're travelling with police equipment. All UK police forces are aware of the scheme and how to verify the identity of an SA who produces a UK Film and TV Registration Scheme card.

bottom of page