top of page


Speed limits are set for a reason and exceeding them is illegal. The minimum penalty for speeding is £100 fine and three points added to your licence. Receiving 12 or more points within three years may disqualify you from driving. If you’re a newly qualified driver and receive six points during the first two years after passing your test, your licence will automatically be cancelled (revoked). To get it back you’ll need to apply and pay for a new provisional licence and pass both theory and practical tests again. If you’re caught by a speed camera: Within 14 days of your vehicle being caught speeding the registered keeper will be sent a;

  • Notice of Intended Prosecution

  • Section 172 notice

They, or in the case of a company vehicle, the company secretary, must return the notice within 28 days telling the police who was driving the vehicle. The matter will be referred to the magistrates court if you ignore the notice. As the driver, depending on the speed, once you’ve responded to the notice you’ll be sent;

  • an option for a speed awareness course

  • a fixed penalty notice

  • or a letter telling you to go to court

If you’re stopped by the police They can:

  • give you a verbal warning

  • send you a fixed penalty notice

  • offer a speed awareness course

  • or order you to go to court – you’ll receive a letter explaining what to do

Find out what to do:

  • if you've received a speed camera activation letter or notice

  • if you want to appeal a letter or notice

Further advice BikeSafe BikeSafe is a national Police-led motorcycle road safety scheme that raises awareness of key risks and provides safer riding techniques for motorcyclists. A police graded motorcyclist or approved BikeSafe observer run the workshops and give advice on hazard awareness and safer motorcycling. Most forces then offer an on-road assessed ride.

bottom of page